For politicians, controversy goes with the territory. Just ask Jacksonville City Councilwoman Kimberly Daniels.
Before she was even elected to office, the District 1, at-large, representative came under fire for a colorful past that included drug addiction, drug dealing and prostitution. She's publicly spoken out about the sins of homosexuality, made anti-Semitic remarks and thanked God for slavery. And since taking office, Daniels, a "deliverance minster" who founded Spoken Word Ministries and Kimberly Daniels Ministries International, has been featured on the National Geographic Channel series "Taboo" for performing exorcisms.
Halloween is a particularly sensitive time for Councilwoman Daniels as she opines, among other things, that Halloween is "dedicated to darkness and is an accursed season." While Daniels has countless dedicated followers around the globe, others may find her beliefs to be somewhat extreme. In that spirit (pardon the pun), I invite you, dear readers, to take the following quiz:
"Things Kimberly Daniels Has Actually Said About Halloween or Fake ‘Quotes' I Made Up"
1. Decorating buildings with Halloween scenes, dressing up for parties, going door-to-door for candy, standing around bonfires and highlighting pumpkin patches ... are demonic and have occult roots.
2. Most of the candy sold during [Halloween] has been dedicated and prayed over by witches.
3. I am horrified at the thought of Halloween candy and its demonic intentions, but, at the same time, if you bite a candy corn just right, you can make it look like a tooth.
4. My nickname in high school was Twix. How weird is that?
5. During this season, witches are celebrating the changing of the seasons from summer to fall. They give praise to the gods for the demonic harvest.
6. The most horrific and unspeakable movie I’ve ever seen is "Halloween." Just kidding ... it’s “Bio-Dome.” I mean, I love Pauly Shore, but even I thought it was unwatchable.
7. Wicked, cruel activities that go on behind the scenes ... [during Halloween include] sex with demons ... and sacrificing babies to shed innocent blood.
8. If I were the kind of misguided soul who did dress up for Halloween, I’d probably go as Miley Cyrus. Or Matt Shirk.
ANSWERS: Numbers 1, 2, 5, and 7 are actual quotes from Daniels taken from an article she wrote—"The Danger of Celebrating Halloween"—for charismamag.com. Numbers 3, 4 6 and 8 were made up by me.