Folio Weekly Named Finalist for Two AAN Awards
Columns and cover designs make cutoff
Folio Weekly is a finalist in two categories of the Association of Alternative Newsmedia (AAN) awards announced May 22.
In column writing for publlications with less than 50,000 circulation, Editor Denise M. Reagan was selected as one of three finalists for three Editor's Notes submissions:
- Between a Nugget and a Hard Place: Chick-fil-A president’s right to voice same-sex marriage stance is just as sacrosanct as equal rights
- In the Mouths of Babes: Smoking continues its hold on youth and young adults
- Adopting a New Idea: The holidays are a good time to take in a stranger
In cover design for the less than 50,000 circulation category, Chad Smith, Walter Coker and Reagan were selected as finalists for three pages (see photos above):
- Fall Arts Preview, Sept. 11, 2012
- Jim Draper, Dec. 11, 2012
- Antique Animals, Dec. 18, 2012
Every year, AAN honors reporters, artists, columnists, photographers, web producers, editorial assistants, creative directors, designers and editors of the alternative news industry. The finalists were selected by judges at the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio Universit as the most outstanding from a field of more than 900 entries submitted by alternative publications across the U.S. and Canada.
The winners will be announced during a July 13 reception at the AAN Annual Convention in Miami.