Breast Cancer: Are You Aware?
And how are you going to help the cause?
Kerry Speckman shares her unique perspective and observations on people, places and events on the First Coast and beyond. She's also the 2012 winner of Jacksonville Dancing With the Stars, so she's got that going for her.
Do you know eight women (seven, if you're a woman yourself)? One of them will get breast cancer in her lifetime (ladies, that one could be you). If that news weren't scary enough, the American Cancer Society estimates 39,620 women in the U.S. will die of the disease this year.
Not trying to be the grim reaper or anything but having lost my mother to breast cancer when she was only 41, makes me an unwitting advocate. All of which leads me to reminding everyone that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. There is some good news, though. You can help prevent the disease and possibly find a cure — and you don't need to be a scientist, physician or researcher to do it. So have a cocktail, play golf, support local music or just wear pink: The boobies you save might be your own.
• Sixth Annual Pink Ribbon Symposium: October 5, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Thrasher-Horne Conference Center, Orange Park, free
• Bubble Palooza Celebration of Survivorship: October 5, 10 a.m., Jacksonville Equestrian Center, $40-$47
• Second Annual Breast Cancer Poker Run: October 5, 11 a.m., North Jacksonville Moose Lodge #2134, $15 per rider, $5 per passenger
• Passion for Pink Celebration: October 5, 8:30 p.m., East Touchdown Club, EverBank Field, $20, must be 21 or older
• Pink Ribbon Golf Classic Cocktail Party: October 9, 6-9 p.m., private residence, Ponte Vedra Beach, $75
• Pink Ribbon Golf Classic Women's Tournament: October 10, 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m., Ponte Vedra Inn & Club, $150 per player
• Upbeat Pink: A Musical Tribute to Breast Cancer Survivorship—"An Evening With James Bond and Friends": October 11, 7:30 p.m., UNF Lazzara Performance Hall, free
• Making Strides Against Breast Cancer—Orange Park: October 12, 9 a.m., Best Bet of Orange Park
• Band's Against Breast Cancer's Boobsapalooza: October 12, noon-8 p.m., Lynch's Irish Pub, Jacksonville Beach, $15 in advance, $20 at the door, must be 21 or older
• Victory in Pink: October 12, 6–9 p.m., St. Johns Town Center, free
• Arlene's Gowns: "Be Aware, Show You Care" Breast Cancer Awareness Fashion Show: October 13, 6 p.m., Innovative Events, 3390 Kori Road, $30 general admission, $50 VIP
• Brides Against Breast Cancer Ladies' Night: October 17, 5:30-9 p.m., Bold City Grill, $35 in advance, $45 at the door
• SenioRITA Tennis Tournament: October 18-20, Sawgrass Country Club
• Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure: October 19, 9 a.m. (5K run), 9:45 a.m. (fun run/walk), $35-$50
• Susan G. Komen Sleep in the Cure: October 19, anytime, your bed or sofa, $35 before October 19, $50 "race" day
• First Annual Celebration of Beauty and Life, October 19, noon-4 p.m., FCC Events, 11218 McAllister Blvd.
• Susan G. Komen Walk for Awareness: October 20, time tba, the bolles school, $35
• Wine & Canvas—"Believe": October 22, 6-9 p.m., Joe's Crab Shack, Jacksonville Beach, $35
• Making Strides Against Breast Cancer—Jacksonville: October 26, 9 a.m., Jacksonville Landing, $35 in advance, $50 race day
• Winn-Dixie's Community Donation Program to benefit Susan G. Komen: Through October 22, donate $1 to help lives and end breast cancer
• Pink Hair for Hope: Through October 31, Beauty by Darlene, $10 donation=pink hair extension
• Premium Outlets Pink Event: Though October 31, St. Augustine Premium Outlets. $10 donation=special savings card
Check out these ways to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month from Susan G. Komen.